Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Thank You Obama.

I won't be the first to step up and hate on Obama. First, I am a military wife and I wouldn't think for a second to use a public format to bash my husband's boss. I would hope any spouse regardless of career choice would have the good sense to speak privately about those matters. If you like incomes and jobs and things like that. However, I think one huge misconception of military and military spouses is that we fully support every decision the president/government makes. I think it's fair to say its not true. We are people with individual opinions and values. With as much as parties and agenda changes, I cannot imagine military people agree with every political decision made. Doesn't happen.

I do my fair share of grumbling and nit picking of public figures. With every piece of criticism, we should give an equal amount of energy to good decision making. Like pay raises. Wouldn't anyone praise a boss who gives a pay raise? I think so. And Obama did just sign a 1 percent pay raise for the military for 2014. Yes, it was proposed to be a little higher--1.8 percent--but he shot that down. Win some lose some. At first, 1 percent doesn't seem like a lot but when you do the math (x times .01) it adds up.

On average, military families are going to receive an extra $2000 to $4000 this year. Not a bad increase, right? Sometimes it's easy to forget how much a percent can add up to be over time. I suppose that goes for credit and taxes as well. Those I don't like as well! It would nicer if we got a bonus check on Jan.1 instead of sprinkled over 12 months. On second thought, lump sums would be more dangerous than good. I can think of a few ways to spend a few grand.

I've been wanting to getaway this year. A spa sounds so good right now. Something in the middle of the desert. I hear a lot of good things about Arizona!


source

Or a shopping spree? Guilt free shopping spree.




Maybe I could finally get that upgrade???


source
Or a down payment on an upgrade?


Much more fun than say... groceries. Or new tires. Or security lighting on the garage. The things which the extra money typically goes to. A girl can dream! 

Nicole
Facebook // Twitter // Bloglovin //
Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. Yes. We can always dream and do not let any discouraging event affect our spirit. As a military spouse we had enough. Let's make this year a happier life.

    Military spouse jobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more exited about the BAH increase. It went up a tidy little sum for us! The raise on base pay isn't so much, but I'm not (or I won't let my husband) about to turn any kind of raise down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you feel that way- no matter what we think of people in positions of authority- they are in that position for a reason and we have no idea- good or bad - what they daily deal with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great attitude! I'm not going to pretend to agree with everything our president does, but I do think he is an authority figure we need to respect. Loved your take on this, and that getaway looks heavenly!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://www.anchorsaweighblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I wish more people thought this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're right that a lump sum is dangerous!! I put our tax return into bills as soon as we get it, so I don't accidentally go buy some new clothes...or shoes...or books...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it's difficult to have your own political ideas or opinions show as a military family due to the circumstances and its hard to get the rest of the country to see that we have our own thoughts on the issues too. Apparently because we receive a government paycheck we must agree with everything that government does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a fan of the current commander in chief. When I was active duty, I hated that I couldn't say what I felt. As a military wife, I have a little more freedom of speech than I did as an active duty Marine. I don't publicly bash anyone, but people know my feelings :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good attitude! I am with you on all the wishes, but sadly somehow those pay raises go straight to the kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not the CIC's biggest fan, myself ... but a raise isn't something to complain about!! Good for them -- they deserve every penny!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm...shop around, maybe security lighting AND a new outfit are possible. =)

    ReplyDelete