Friday, January 24, 2014

Harveston Lake {Temecula}



One thing I miss about living on Camp Pendleton is being so close to nature. Having spent 12 years on Camp Pendleton we lived in nearly every housing area on the south and main side of base. When we lived on the south side, we had the ocean just a mile down the road. There is no negative to having the ocean at your finger tips. When we lived on main side, we had Lake O'Neill in our backyard. We had the best view from our patio. Most weekends started with a hike or bike ride around the trails. I miss that. We most definitely don't have nature in our neighborhood now. We have sidewalks and houses. Not my favorite thing to look at when I'm out walking. Sure we have trails within driving distance but sometimes it's nice to have something nearby and not have to pay for parking.



My husband starts to feel the same way. He starts getting restless for some type of nature. He found this nearby "lake" in the middle of a neighborhood. When I say lake, I mean pond, but Californians are going to call it a lake. What can you do? It's man-made and surrounded by houses. The California way... plow over nature, build houses, make new "nature".  Beggars can't be choosers. It's as close to nature as we are going to get this side of the interstate without paying for it.


We visited Lake Harveston last summer when we took the kids fishing. Would you expect the lake to be stocked with fish? Blue gill, I think. Catch and release. The kids loved it. However, this time we went to walk. Scooters for the boys. We took one lap around the lake and managed to (sorta) crash a wedding. Chase some birds. Tumble off the scooters. We voted against a second lap, for the bride and groom's sake. I can imagine that wedding video with my two hooligans blazing around on their scooters in the background. Classy.


We left instead. But now we have a nearby "nature" walk when we feel like getting out and about.


Nicole

8 comments:

  1. Ugh, I can't wait to move so we can live near the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place!! I wish we had water close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the problem with the desert! Not much pretty nature or water. ha
    I miss Camp P. A lot. Heck, I miss him being the Marines. The Coast Guard is just so different.

    The houses look really nice in that neighborhood though! I'm excited to get up to Petaluma because the base is all walking trails and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty!!! I wish our lakes and rivers weren't frozen! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My BIL was at CP for a long time too! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so nice! I'm jealous of your weather! I'm sick of winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think when you decide to get married some place like that you expect there to be outside interferences but gosh how funny to have the boys rolling through! Just signs the wedding day was so gorgeous! I don't ever remember seeing housing developments like I do out here- I wonder if it's a sign of the times, or a CA thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up on camp P, wire mt 2 to be exact:) now I have adult children and live in Murrieta!

    ReplyDelete