Friday, May 26, 2017

Lately, This Is My Favorite

I'm obsessed! The Little Free Library has been outside our house for a little over a week and it's been a blast. It has been a great conversation starter among neighbors and friends. We haven't put out anything official to announce what this little birdhouse is but our neighbors seem to know what to do. New books have been popping up daily and disappearing at the same rate. It's such a fun thing to be a part of.


I absolutely love the simple design and plan to add color in the future. The best part is my husband made this himself. It makes it so much more special. The library is portable, so we move it near the street on the weekends.  During the week, I keep it near the house. I'm a little nervous about vandalism during the night. Some of our neighborhood mailboxes get pretty bent up. I'm not sure if people intentional hit them or are just terrible drivers. If you've been to North Carolina, then you could see how that is a valid question! Haha 😊


This week the Little Free Library also became official in the Little Free Library non-profit organization. We received our library number and will be on the world map for all to find us. It's a fun step to reach a broader group of readers. I love the addition of our silver plaque!  It's another favorite :)


The best part is adding books to the library. The picture above was my first round of books I stocked the library with. Things have changed over the seven days the library has been "OPEN".



Most of the above books have come and gone over the past week.


The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan was our first book donation. Someone took it almost as soon as it was left. I get so excited when people use our Little Free Library. It's exactly what I hoped for.



I was worried keeping the library stocked with books would be difficult. I think the neighbors are going to take care of this one. But, I'm still going to buy books when I come across a good deal. Today the base thrift shop has a bag sale for books. How perfect is that? All these books cost me $3. I love military base thrift stores!


Another favorite, book themes for the library. I thought there should be military books and red/white/blue for Memorial Day weekend. Hoping the community enjoys the little "extra" put into the library themes. I've got plenty more ideas to last through the summer :) 


Follow Along:

3 comments:

  1. I love your Little Free Library. We put a Little Free Library up in our local town in Downtown a few years ago and have had a lot of fun with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this! One day when Nick and I live in a house, I totally want to do this. I think that Nick would love building it, and I would love keeping it stocked. I love how you updated it for Memorial Day Weekend - that was pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I love that you made it portable. We have one at our community pool- we need to donate and borrow this summer for sure. Thank you to your husband for his service and to you and your children for being an awesome military family! It is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete