Friday, April 28, 2017

Spring Reading For The Win



Spring is here in full force. We've got sunny days, windy days, and rainy days all mixed up into some very crazy weather. As I posted earlier this week, the sunny days have me craving more beach days! My body and soul just can't wait until the weather is permanently warm and I can set up my beach chair right along the water and read all the books! Just like I did on Saturday. Consider this my open invitation to you all to join me :) 


Our Carolina coastline is pretty amazing and I have plenty of book recommendations for you! Today's post will get you started in the right direction. I'm so happy with the books I read this month. I started April without any real direction again. I read a couple non-fiction books, one hefty young adult contemporary, and then switched gears to lighter reads. I'm staying the path of fun and breezy fiction from here out. My brain just can't process all the heavy material when switched to vacation mode! 

#1 Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. I do love a celebrity memoir. Let's call it a guilty pleasure. It doesn't even have to be good! I just want all the juicy details of the Hollywood life. And any million dollar health and beauty tips they have to share. Occasionally, I find bits of wisdom and inspiration. Ultimately it's really about the pointless gossip to appease my curiosity. There I said it! I actually listened to Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody by audiobook which was narrated by her. This is the only way to listen to memoirs in my opinion :) I wasn't a huge fan. I didn't get a lot of inspiration from her "difficult" journey to success. I think I may be a little above the target age group for this book. I'm on the fence about a recommendation because I think Scrappy Little Nobody would be an entertaining beach read.



#2 The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Wow, what a book. Just go read it now. Before I say anything else, to persuade or dissuade.This book will make you consider and re-consider your opinions on police accountability, low income communities, and Black Lives Matter movement. I've shared multiple times, I am an empathetic thinker with pretty liberal beliefs. These topics still reach to my core and make me think about our current events. You don't have to be 100% Black Lives or Blue Lives Matter to be touched by the message of this book. I feel like Thomas presented a complete story and argument for all sides. The Black, the Blue, and all the hues in between. There is no clear solution. I feel like we need to start educating ourselves with other perspectives.This book does that with so many characters. Once you read the book, come back to tell me your thoughts! I really want to discuss this book with someone!




#3 The Power of Discipline: 7 Ways It Can Change Your Life by Brian Tracy.   I needed this book in a big way. We are coming to a big transitional time in our lives, as my husband's Marine career comes to an end. The 'what comes next' question weighs heavy as we try to find the answer pronto. This book is perfection to motivate and encourage proactivity in your life. It really lit a fire and provided a sensible to-do list for putting the 7 ways of discipline into action. I listened on audiobook; I replayed the short chapters multiple times. I would highly recommend The Power of Discipline to anyone feeling complacent, stuck, or in need of a little boost.


#4 Out Of My Mind by Sharon M Draper. This middle grade fiction novel is told from the prospective a 11 year old girl, Melody, with cerebral palsy. Spending her life unable to communicate, a new computer creates a whole new world of interaction. I love the positive premise of this book. There are so many truths and prejudices Melody faces that were eye opening to me. I was drawn to this book because of my current work in the school district's exceptional child classrooms. Other states might use special education or developmental disabilities. Any way you name the classes, there is still an overlooked and isolated population of students who have very real desires to be included. This book was important to me and I wish so many others would read it.




#5 The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon. I have fallen hard for Nicola Yoon's writing. It's so light and airy yet holds such depth. Her books are the perfect spring read. The Sun Is Also A Star follows the path of two teens budding relationship against the backdrop of immigration/deportation in America. The story shows the interconnectedness of all the minor and major players along the way. As I'm reading along, I'm think "hmm, I never think how my actions might be impacting someone in this same position".  Always a bonus when fiction makes you do that. My love for Yoon runs deep. She writes with love, hope, and empowerment. It's the very sweetest type of writing without the sap :) I will always recommend ;)

Your turn to recommend books :) Anything you think goes well with warm weather and sitting on the beach??? 

Linking up with Narci and Steph and Jana for books suggestions galore!

Follow Along:

11 comments:

  1. Oh what I wouldn't give to be sitting on that beach right now. I really miss the Carolinas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book reminds me of the dumb people I've met who refused to believe the sun is a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love your beach view reading! You've got me interested in The Hate You Give, I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any Nicola Yoon yet, but I am waiting on a copy of Everything, Everything from the library and am excited. I haven't read Scrappy Little Nobody but I'll probably skip it since I feel like I might not relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a sucker for celeb memoirs too! I love hearing about the inner workings of Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Kendrick's book, we have a similar type of humor. The Hate You Give is on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody keeps on recommending The Sun Is Also A Star, and I need to read it! It just sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hate U Give is on my list! I need to move it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beach reading is pretty much my favorite thing in the world - jealous that you are able to do it already! We have a little more warming up to do in Michigan. And I do have some Nicola Yoon on my reading list for when it's time - I really liked The Sun Is Also a Star so am looking forward to getting to her other one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have The Hate U Give on my TBR and after all the glowing recommendations about it this month, I requested it from the library. Hopefully it cooperates.

    ReplyDelete