Friday, January 29, 2016

A Walk Across Town

Some of you may vaguely remember a list I created over a year ago here. My 101 Things In 1001 Days bucket list of sorts. I've never published it nor do I talk about it much. You might notice me using hashtags like #101thingsin1001days or #101 in1001 on my Instagram. The hashtag signifies me crossing something off my list.



Most recently, I took a beautiful Sunday afternoon to walk across our town. 6.5 miles of hilly terrain. It was kind of fun. Kind of exhausting. And I did it! 2.5 hours total to complete. 



When I put this adventure on my list a year ago there was a different meaning. I thought a simple physical challenge to empower me. However, after finding out we were moving to North Carolina the walk became more about my connection to this place we call home. 



I know the more I think about this connection the more I know it's so big for me. The emotion of leaving Temecula is because for the first time in 17 years of military life I've felt like I could call a place home. I know I've never been able to do that outside of Iowa. Walking the length of this city gave me a chance to know the city more. This walk wasn't quite goodbye but it is a start. I'm going to remember this one.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun goal and awesome accomplishment! I bet that was a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete