Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I've Got A Teenager!


Today my oldest is celebrating her first day as a teenager.
I know this is an exciting day for her. She is officially not a kid anymore.
Birthdays always make me a little nostalgic and I can't write a birthday post 
without getting a little weepy.


Just a couple days ago she was washing dishes with a big ol' smile on her face.
I thought...wow, this teenager thing won't be so bad.
The next night she walked out of the restaurant because I was going to post 
an "unacceptable" photo of her on Instagram.
That is when I saw the teenager.


Despite the anticipated roller coaster teenage-dom often brings, 
I can't help but feel excited for her. 
The next 6 years as a teenager are going to be full of fun and adventures.
She is going to gain her independence. She is going to become an adult.
As much as I love that for her, it also makes me sad.
Slowly I am going to have to start handing over the reins and 
trust the story she is writing is the right one for her. 


I know there will be days when she is a little too much to handle
and I probably want to lock the front door...when she isn't home.
I'm guessing there is going to be a heartbreak thrown in there.
Some BFF drama. Maybe a trip to the principal's office or God-forbid police station.
There will probably be a speeding ticket, a lot of requests for money, 
and heated debates about clothing or lack there of.
And with all my might there will be a day we pull away from that college campus and 
pray to God every thing we tried to teach her sunk in.

Yep, tears are coming down now.


I am anticipating the cool things too.
I look forward to the day she wants to go clothes shopping.
When she goes through my closet and tells me what clothes to ditch
because they make me look "old".
I can't wait for Spa Days, Prom dress shopping, and filling out college applications.
I can't wait until she freaks me out with some crazy thing she wants to do--
like white water rafting or bungee jumping or piercing her nose.

Cause secretly I'm going to be like "You Go Girl!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Kyli- I know you don't read this blog. But one day, somehow you will read this post. I just want you to know today is the first day of a pretty sweet ride. I have a few bits of advice--you know, speaking from experience-- Hey hey don't roll your eyes! The number one must do: Enjoy ItDon't ever take these next 6 years too seriously. Make some really great girlfriends who like to have good old fashion fun. Date boys but don't marry one. Use your God-given gift of intelligence. He gave it to you for a reason. Use it, baby. And don't ever stop working toward your goal until you reach it! What ever it may be. 

Happy Birthday!
I love you!

Nicole
Facebook // Twitter // Bloglovin // 

Follow on Bloglovin

Linking Up: Wednesday Walkabout

10 comments:

  1. Agh! Happy Birthday to your baby girl. ( Even though she's not much of a baby.) Hopefully she won't give you too much hell through these years. She's a gorgeous one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you are such a sweet mama! She is lucky to have you. Happy birthday to her today! :)

    Also, teenagers are SO much fun! No, I'm not a mother, but I teach 14/15 year olds, and they are seriously hilarious... yes, the drama isn't the best part, but they ALWAYS make up for it! :)

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww happy birthday to her! She's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Good luck mom!! LOL Happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower from Walkabout Wendsdays :) Seems like we're way too young to have teenagers huh?! Gets me every time, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that's so sweet :) You definitely have all those things to look forward to! It will be a challenge, but also sometimes a blessing when they do the good things. So sweet reading it from a mom's point of view the way you wrote it. Found you from the Wednesday Walkabout. Oh and Happy Birthday to the new teen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to her! I guess being a teenager does come with its fair share of both good and bad moments. I love all of these adorable pictures. I found your blog from the Wednesday Walkabout, and I'm excited to follow all of your future adventures!
    xo, Hima
    P.S. I just started a blog and joined the cool kids club. I'd love for you to swing by and leave me a comment with some feedback! Thank you so much.
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect post! I will be in the same boat next month, it's exciting and oh so terrifying at the same time. Cheers to you and Dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, what a sweet post!
    Happy Birthday to Kyli!!!

    ReplyDelete