Wednesday, June 7, 2017

7 Books On My Summer TBR List



Summer is too short to read bad books. Do you agree? Most of us gravitate to more entertaining reads during our summer months, it's what we do. Blame vacation mode or the plethora of summer activities, but we don't want to be consumed with pages of less than stellar literature for days and weeks. Summer is a great time for great books! This summer I am taking time to read some raved about new releases, thrillers, and oldie but goodies in all genres. It is summer: I only want good books!


One of my very favorite things to do online is find book reviews. I use blogs, book rating sites, podcasts, and Youtube. I want to know what all the good books are before I start reading. The first book on my list is getting all the attention right now from all platforms... 

1.) The Dry by Jane Harper is apparently the must-read book of the moment. It's a murder mystery story set in Australia. An old friend comes back to the hometown to figure out the answers to an unsolved death. I don't know much more about it and that is the way I like to start mystery thrillers. I've consistently read reviews that The Dry is fast moving and suspenseful. Readers are singing its praises and I'm excited to read for myself. 

2.) Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. This book has been dubbed a psychological thriller which means crazy characters. Again I don't know a whole lot which I am convinced is the correct way to approach any thriller novel. I've read the premise is a love triangle with a twist. There are buzz words like, unpredictable and plot twist, so I'm intrigued. This book is consistently reviewed with high praise by readers. 

3.) The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen. Pulitzer Prize winning author for The Sympathizer. This book is full of short stories about refugees accounts fleeing Southeast Asian countries spanning across several decades. I have read a couple chapters and feel the story telling is very dark and raw but very well written. The subject matter is relevant for our time. Reading books like this reenforces the gray areas of immigration and refugees. I appreciate any book that will challenge me.

4.) The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordian. A classic everyone seems to have loved reading. Both my reader and non-reader kiddos loved The Lightning Thief. I figure the agreement alone speaks volumes. Plus, I was in several classrooms this year where the students were reading The Lightning Thief and loving it. I love to read what my kids are loving and connect with them on their level. I think I am most excited about reading this popular book! 

5.) Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I bought this book at a library book sale and have yet to read it. Everything I Never Told You gets mixed reviews. The story seems just my speed. A short novel with a little mystery surrounding a death tied in with family drama. Perfect summer beach read.

6.) The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. How could I not read this book at some point? It feels like it would be a slap in the face of all readers :) First, I feel like everyone has read this book. Second, I feel like everyone has loved this book. What you need to know: historical fiction, World War 2 Europe, always a top favorite on reading lists.

7.) Not A Fan by Kyli Idleman. Christian non-fiction confronting the question of what it means to be a true Christ follower. I've heard great things about this book. However, a peek into the first chapter makes me question how fanatical the author is. I'm not sure I will like it but I do try to sprinkle in books regarding my Christian faith throughout the year. I'm long overdue for one.

My summer reading will have a slow start in June because of a commitment I've made. I am currently reading The Refugees very slowly which works well with the short stories format. After the July holiday, I will be burning through my reading list. Do you see any books here I should bump to the top of my list? Any favorites? 

Follow Along:

8 comments:

  1. I have The Nightingale and haven't gotten in to it yet. Can't wait to check out these other titles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Everything I Never Told You. I probably read it in two days. I listened to Behind Her Eyes and it was definitely enthralling. I did not enjoy The Nightingale all that much.
    The Dry is on my list...I'm thinking my July Audible credit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some new summer reads! Thanks for putting together your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nightingale is the perfect read for this summer! I honestly didn't know if I would love it, but I couldn't put it down once I picked it up! The Dry sounds really good too! I love murder mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, The Nightingale made me cry several times. I loved it, but it does squeeze at your heart, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Nightingale! I knew as soon as I read the overview for it that it was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Nightingale is amazing. You'll love it! There are a few on your list that I will definitely need to look into! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Nightingale was sent to one of our professors that specializes in WW2 history. He wasn't interested, so he passed it onto the office ladies. I haven't gotten to it yet, but others have said it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete